Monastic Ireland is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
also known as: de Rupe Michaelis
Order: Augustinian CanonsName of Foundation: St. Michael's Ballinskelligs Dedicated to: St. Michael
Barony: Iveragh/ Uíbh Ráthach Civil Parish: Prior/ An Phrióireacht Townland: Ballinskelligs (Baile an Sceilg)
Main events in the history of this site
c.1210: Foundation - The early monastery on Skellig Michael was moved, owing to the hazardous position of the rock, to the mainland (Giraldus Cambrensis). The date of this move is unknown , but it was probably some time before the mid-eleventh century, and the rock appears to have been occupied by hermits for some time afterwards. The site chosen for the new monastery on the mainland was occupied was at St. Michael Ballinskelligs, and it retained the alias 'de Rupe Michaelis' until the sixteenth century. Being in the barony of Iveragh, it was at one time thought that this might be the monastery of Ibracense, built by St. Malachy, c. 1127 (Lawlor, 40), but it is now suggested that Ibracense was near Cashel.
St. Michael Ballinskelligs became a house of Arroasian canons, perhaps c. 1210, or soon afterwards, as at Rathkeale, and originating from Rattoo. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 192) 1302 - 6: - The prior de Rupe Michaelis is mentioned in 1302 - 6 (CDI), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 192) 1476: - In 1476, the value is given as -50m., and Dermit O'Sullivan, a clerk, was to be received into the monastery to replace John Onylchanory (r. Omaolconaire) as prior if his accusations were found to be true (CPR), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 192) 1555: - The priory was still Arroasian and occupied by canons in 1555. (T.J. Walsh and D. O'Sullivan in Cork A.S., liii, 59). (Med. religious houses, Ire., 192)