Barony: Tireragh/ Tír Fhiachrach Civil Parish: Kilmoremoy/ Cill Mhór Mhuaidhe Townland: Abbeyhalfquarter ( Leithcheathrú na Mainistreach)
Main events in the history of this site
1371 - 1400: Foundation - The friary was probably founded by the O'Dowdas some time before 1400. This family took possession of Ardnaree in 1371. (AFM) (Med. religious houses, Ire., 295) 1401: - A dispensation is mentioned to a friar O.E.S.A. of the Killala diocese in 1401 (CPR v. 493). Ardnaree was then then only Augustinian friary in the diocese. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 295) 1402: Burial - Muirchertach O'Dowda, who was buried at Ardnaree in 1402 (A. Conn.) was probably the founder of the friary. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 295) 1410: - In 1410, an indulgence was granted as the buildings had partly collapsed, while what remained was threatened with ruin. (CPR vi. 220), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 295) 1417 - 27: - Tadg Riabhach O'Dowda, called founder 1417 - 27, may have been responsible for the rebuilding and so accounted as second founder. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 295) 1425: - Fr. Matthew Clerc (O'Clery)was transferred from Ardnaree to Dunmore in 1425. (AGA) (Med. religious houses, Ire., 296) 1577 - 82: - The friary is mentioned is fiant Q.E. 3368. No record of the expulsion of the friars has been found, but they are thought to have retained their buildings until 1577 - 82 (in a similar way to Rathfran and Moyne). They were in the neighbourhood until the late eighteenth century.