Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Ardfinnan (Friary)

also known as: Lady's Abbey, Mainistir Mhuire

Order: Carmelite Friars

Name of Foundation: Ardfinnan
Dedicated to: St. Mary

Barony: Uíbh Eoghain agus Uíbh Fhathaidh Thiar/Iffa and Offa West
Civil Parish: Baile Uí Bhéacáin/ Ballybacon
Townland: Ladysabbey (Mainistir Mhuire)

Main events in the history of this site

1314Foundation - Ardfinnan is the Carmelite foundation in the diocese of Lismore which was projected in 1314, and the supposed site is Lady's Abbey, in the parish of Ballybacon and about a mile south of Ardfinnan, where there are medieval remains. (IPC f. 51a), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 290) 
1541 - A house of Friars of Ardfinan (no order given) existed in 1541. The editor of Extents gives it as Franciscan, but it may have been the Franciscan Third Order house of the Carmelite friary. (E, 339), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 290) 
c.1737 - The Carmelite convent of Ardfinnan is in the lists of Rinuccini and Fonds Grand Carmes, but it is not listed as existing in c. 1737in AOR (Arch. Ord. Rome (Carmelite Order), MS. II, C.O.II, 26,p. 13 (written 1739 - 59), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 290) 

Bibliographical sources

2 Printed sources

show sources

Archival sources

Royal Irish Academy Prints and Drawings, 'East window, the Ladys Abbey, near Ardfinnan', (Document),

National Library of Ireland, 'Exchequer Rolls extracts re lands of Ardfinnan', (Document), (View website)

Royal Irish Academy Manuscripts Collection, 'OS notes made by John O'Donovan (Ardfinnan)', (Document), (View website)

Tipperary, OSI Grid:S0720116391