Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Ballindoon (Priory)

also known as: Ballindown

Order: Dominican Friars

Name of Foundation: St. Mary's Priory
Dedicated to: St. Mary

Barony: Tirerrill/ Tír Oirill
Civil Parish: Killadoon/ Cill Dhuibh Dhúin
Townland: Ballindoon (Baile an Dúin)

Main events in the history of this site

1507Foundation - St. Mary's Priory was begun in 1507 by Thomas O'Farrell (ALC). Ware gives the founder as a Mac Donogh, and Burgo supposes that Ballindoonand Toombeola were the two friaries licensed to be founded from Athenry in 1427. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 222) 
1527 - The young prior, Thomas O'Farrell, was slain by Irishmen in 1527. (ALC), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 222) 
1585 - In 1585, the prior was found to be in possession of a church, cemetery, and half a qr. of land, val.6s. 8d. (Coleman), (Med. religious house, Ire., 222) 
1588 - After the death of Melaghlin Oge Mac Donagh in 1588, the lands of Ballindoon were granted to his wife. (O'Rorke ii. 272), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 222) 
1591 - The monastery of St. Dominic [r. St. Francis] in Elphin and Ballindoon were leased in 1591, and Ballindoon was later granted to Sir Francis Crofton [r. Gofton. O'Rorke] and assigned to Sir Robert King. Coleman gives later particulars of the friary to the late eighteenth century. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 222) 

Bibliographical sources

7 Printed sources

show sources

Archival sources

Rosse Mss., 'Certificate signed R. Bolton, with respect to lands of Ballindowne and Ballywilliam in the territory', (Document), (View website)

Sligo, OSI Grid:G7889414902