Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

All Saint's Priory (Priory)

also known as: All Hallow's Priory, Prioratus Omnium Sanctorum, juxta Dublin

Order: Augustinian Canons

Canons of the order of Arrouaise were installed here by Dermot Mac Murrough, king of Leinster, c. 1166. The foundation charter was witnessed by Laurence, archbishop of Dublin and Kinad, bishop of Glendalough.
The grants of Dermot were confirmed by Henry II. The priors sat in parliament as spiritual peers.


Barony: Dublin
Civil Parish: Dublin
Townland: Dublin South City ()
Owned by: The site of the Abbey of All Saint's is now the site of the University of Dublin, Trinity College (https://www.tcd.ie/about/history/)

Main events in the history of this site

c.1166Foundation - Canons of the order of Arrouaise were installed here c. 1166 by Dermot Mac Murrough, king of Leinster. (Ware), (Med. religious houses, 171) 
c.1166 - Dermot, in his charter, which was witnessed by Laurence, archbishop of Dublin, Kinad, bishop of Glendalough, and others, granted land called Ballidubgail with its men and appurtenances to his spiritual father and confessor, Edan, bishop of Louth, for the use of the canons of the church of the daughter of Zola, and their successors. A later charter of confirmation was granted by Henry II. (Dugdale, ii, 1039), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 171) 
1216 - Soon after 1216, when the see of Glendalough was united to Dublin, Archbishop Henry of London made the prior and convent of the Island of St. Saviour at Glendalough subject to All Saint's, Dublin, confirmed by Gregory IX and Innocent V. (RPOS, pp.xxii and 100 - 1)(Med. religious houses, Ire., 171)  
1234 - 44 - Theobald Walter (Butler) was granted land in the Steyn, near the priory in 1234 - 44.  
1234 - 44 - Maurice Fitzgerald granted land to the west of Dublin. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 171) 
1396 - In 1396, Richard Norreys, one of the canons, was accused of various felonies, and Wm. Reve, the prior, used unbecoming expressions to the chief justice in court, for which he was committed into custody, but the court found that he was not of sound mind, and he was pardoned after payment of a fine. (K (A)), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 171) 
1468Visitation - A visitation, held in 1468, by an official of the archbishop, was attended by the prior, William Stewnot, the sub-prior and four canons. (RPOS, 99, xxiii), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1474 - William Stewnot was selected to be on a commission to attend the king, and in 1474, parliament enacted that he and his convent might hav dealings with Irish enemies who surrounded some of the possessions (RPOS, xxiv., f.), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1506 - Nicholas was prior in 1506 
1537 - 1538Dissolution - Prior Walter Hancoke leased out a farm in 1537 and he, with the sub-prior and four canons, signed the deed of surrender of the priory and its possessions 16 November 1538. (RPOS, xxvii, xxix).(Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1538Dissolution - The priory had been officially dissolved 16 September, 1538, and the site and possessions were granted 4 February, 1539, to the mayor, etc. of Dublin. (E), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1538 - The priory had possessions in the counties of Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Tipperary and elsewhere in Ireland. (Morrin, i), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1548 - Prior Walter died in 1548(A), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1548 - An inquisition found that All Hallows had been seized of the nunnery or cell of Lusk, which, having been appropriated to the priory, was afterwards transferred to Grace Dieu.(RPOS, xxx), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1565 - Possessions and the captainship of Slewaght within the Analy were granted to Lord Devlin in 1565. (Morrin, i, 500), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1591 - Queen Elizabeth erected the College of the Holy Trinity on the site of the priory in 1591. (Ware), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
1763 - The rental of the estate was over £788 in 1763 (RPOS, lxvi), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 172) 
+ 10 minor events. Show minor events

Bibliographical sources

Archival sources

British Museum, 'Excerpta e registro Prioratus Omnium Sanctorum, juxta Dublin', (Document), (View website)

British Museum, 'Exemplification by Henry VII...giving privileges to the Priory of All Saints', (Document), (View website)

British Museum, 'Prior of All Saint's at the time of the suppression', (Document), (View website)

Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, 'Sub-lease by R. Barry to A. Ussher of part of lands and tithes of dissolved Priory of All Saints', (Document), (View website)

Related articles on Monastic Ireland

Section from Archdall’s Monasticon Hibernicum on the history of the priory of All-Hallow’s, or All-Saint’s, Dublin., Mervyn Archdall

Dublin, OSI Grid:O1609234079