Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Ardee Priory/Hospital (Priory)

Order: Fratres Cruciferi

The preceptory of the Knight's Hospitallers of Castleboy (St. John in Ards) is sometimes recorded as St. John of Ardee, causing it to be confused. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210)

Name of Foundation: St. John the Baptist
Affiliated to: St. John the Baptist

Barony: Baile Átha Fhirdhia/Ardee
Civil Parish: Ardee/ Baile Átha Fhirdhia
Townland: Townparks Ardee By. (Baile Átha Fhirdhia)

Main events in the history of this site

c.1207Foundation - The Priory of John the Baptist, ord. Cruciferorum, under the rule of St. Augustine, was founded by Roger Pipard, lord of the place, c. 1207. (Ware), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
1211 - In 1211, Eugene,archbishop of Armagh,granted confirmation to the hospital of St. John in Ardee. (K (A 481), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
c.1211 - Following the confirmation of the hospital of St. John in Ardee, Roger Pipard increased the endowments for the better support of the house and to enable the brethren to exercise more liberally their works of mercy and charity, the hospital being in the charge of sisters as well as brothers. (K (A 446), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
1406 - Papal mandates were issued to several priors in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and in 1406 one of the brothers was granted a papal dispensation. (CPL), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
1536 - George Dowdall was prior in 1524, and in 1536 he was described as a 'papistical fellow (able to corrupt the whole country' while his mon., val. £100, serveth no purpose' (L. and P. Hen. VIII xi. no. 1416), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
1539 - 1541Dissolution - Prior George Dowdall surrendered the monastery on Decemberr 6th, 1539, and was granted a pension of £20. Four year later he was appointed archbishop of Armagh by Henry VIII, but after renouncing his schism, he was granted the priory of Ardee for life by Queen Mary in c. 1541(A (CR; AG)), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
1540, 30 SeptemberDissolution - On 30 September, 1540, the jurors reported that the church could be thrown down, all other buildings being necessary for the farmer (occupier John Travers c. 1541. The possessions included over 780 acres, a castle, many messuages and cottages, eight chapels, etc., val. £125 19s. 0d. gross and £107 17s. 0d. net, but much was not accounted for, being waste of burnt by O'Neill in December 1539. (E), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
1579 - Other detailed inquisitions were made in 1579, when the priory was granted to Edward Moore (A, 811 - 12, CR)), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 210) 
+ 1 minor event. Show minor events

Bibliographical sources

5 Printed sources

show sources

Archival sources

Royal Irish Academy Manuscripts Collection, 'OS Letter, to T. A. Larcom from Thomas O'Conor (Ardee)', (Document), (View website)

Louth, OSI Grid:N9636590335