Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Arklow Friary (Friary)

Order: Dominican Friars

Name of Foundation: The Friary of the Holy Cross

Barony: Arklow/ An tInbhear Mór
Civil Parish: Arklow/ An tInbhear Mór
Townland: Abbeylands ()

Main events in the history of this site

1264Foundation - The friary of the Holy Cross was founded in 1264 by Thomas Theobald fitz Walter (Pincerna or Butler of Ireland) (Ware and Burgo), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 221) 
1285Burial - The founder of the house, Thomas Theobald fitz Walter (Pincerna or Butler of Ireland) was buried in the friary in 1285, and his descendants adopted the surname Butler. 
1414 - An indulgence was granted for the conservation of the friars' church. (CPR), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 221) 
1539Dissolution - The friary was suppressed. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 221) 
1541, 27 January - On 27 January, 1541, the jurors found that the buildings and 2-acre site were necessary for the farmer (Edmund Duffy); the possessions (then let to several tenants) included 15 acres, four messuages and six cottages, val. c. 62s., but given as 29s. 10d. because part was in waste by war and rebellion of the Irish called le Kavaners. (E), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 221) 
1544 - The buildings consisted of church and belfry, chapter-house, dorter, hall, three chambers, store, kitchen etc.; the property was granted in 1544 to John Travers at a small rent (A (CR) and AG). The church and priory stood almost complete in Burgo's time. Stephen O'Kelly, last representative of the order in Arklow, died soon after 1835 (Coleman).(Med. religious houses Ire., 221.) 

Bibliographical sources

4 Printed sources

show sources

Wicklow, OSI Grid:T2455773389