Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Athlone (Friary)

Order: Franciscan


Barony: Brawny/ Breámhaine
Civil Parish: St. Mary's
Townland: Athlone (Baile Átha Luain)

Main events in the history of this site

1239 - 1241Foundation - The church of the Friars Minor was consecrated in 1241. This suggests a foundation date of at least two years earlier.(AFM) ALS says that the friary was built in 1240 - 1 (r. 1239 - 40?), the founder being given variously as Charles de Burgo, as the Dillons, or as the Digbies. SG 66 gives Sir Henry Dillon. Earlier attribution to Cathal Crovderg O'Conor in 1224 (AH6 ii, 192) is almost certainly incorrect; cf. FML 6-7.(Med. religious houses, Ire., 243) 
1245 - In 1245, the English friars received a grant of alms from the king. (CDI). 
1327 - In 1327, the grant received by the friars from the king in 1245 was transferred to the English friars of Cashel because Athlone was occupied by Irish friars. (FML, 129) 
1398 - In 1398, an indulgence was granted for the repair of the church (CPR), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 243) 
1567 - 8Destruction - The friary was destroyed 10 Q.E. (1567 - 8). (AH6ii, 201). The friars may have remained near Athlone. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 243) 
1587 - The friary became Observant in 1587. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 243) 
1626 - The friars had a place of refuge at Killinure. (CM). A house was built at Athlone, near the old friary, in 1626. (AH6, 145), (Med.religious houses, Ire., 243) 

Bibliographical sources

6 Printed sources

show sources

Westmeath, OSI Grid:N0395741619