Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Ardnacrany (Friary)

Order: Carmelite Friars


Barony: Cill Chainnigh Thiar/ Kilkenny West
Civil Parish: Nuachabháil/ Noughaval
Townland: Ardnacrany North ()

Main events in the history of this site

c.1291Foundation - Founded by Robert Dillon, Lord of Drumrany (Burgo 742), c. 1291 (MG)It was, perhaps, founded without a license (IPC),(Med. religious houses, Ire., 286)
 
1540, 8 OctoberDissolution - About 8 October, 1540, an official of Annaly (Anghaile) reported that in Athnecrane, Co. Westmeath, there was a small church with two small houses adjacent and a carucate of land which had come into the king's hands through the dissolution by the prior and convent of the late house of Carmelites, val. 26s. 8d.; (E, 282 - 4), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 287) 
1546 - Granted to Robert Dillon 1546, fine of £13 13s, 4d., and rent of 16d.: A (AG). He was the farmer in 1548. (E), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 287) 

Bibliographical sources

2 Printed sources

show sources

Westmeath, OSI Grid:N1638052660