Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Aghade (Convent)

also known as: Athaddy

Order: Augustinian Arroasian Nuns

Aghade may have been a dependent cell of the Augustinian Arrouasian house of nuns of St Mary de Hogges in Dublin. The only reference to its foundation is in Ware's 'De Hibernia et antiquitatibus ejus' in which he claims that it was a grant made by Diarmait mac Murchada, king of Leinster to the nuns c. 1151. This is quite possible as Diarmait was associated both with the Dublin foundation and with the region in which Aghade is located, the latter connection reflected in a grant of land made by Strongbow in Aghade in the late twelfth century. (http://monasticmatrix.org/monasticon/aghade, accessed 26/03/13)

In 1540, the nuns of de Hogges still owned the v. of Athad, 16 acres, then waste by war, val. if leased, 16s. (Extents, 71), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 312)

It was probably disused as a cell before the sixteenth century, as no further records have been found. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 312)

Affiliated to: St. Mary de Hogges

Barony: Fotharta
Civil Parish: Aghade
Townland: Aghade (Áth Fhád)
Kingdom/Lordship: Leinster
Early mediaeval Kingdom/Lordship: Fotharta Fea

Main events in the history of this site

c.1151Possible foundation - Aghade (Athaddy) was made a dependent cell of St Mary de Hogges in Dublin by the king of Leinster, Diarmait mac Murchada (Dermot McMurrough) (Ware, De Hibernia ,p. 185) 
15 October 1204Papal confirmation of possessions - Aghade (Athfadat) confirmed by Pope Innocent III as part of the possessions of Bishop Herelewin of Leighlin (Pont. Hib. 1 p. 130, no. 61) 

Bibliographical sources

1 Printed sources

show sources

Carlow, OSI Grid:S8512268403