Monastic Ireland is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
also known as: Mainistir na Corann/ Chorus Sancti Benedicti
Order: CistercianName of Foundation: Midleton Dedicated to: Blessed Virgin Mary Affiliated to: Leask and Stalley have given Monasternenagh [qv] as the mother-abbey of the foundation at Midleton, while Mac Niocaill has given Holycross [qv] as the direct mother abbey, which had itself been founded by Monasternenagh.
Barony: Barony of Uí Mhic Coille/ Imokilly Civil Parish: Midleton Townland: Midleton (Mainistir na Corann)
Site Description: No ruins are marked on the 6 inch OS map
No remains are noted in Lewis’ Topographical Directory.
The Extents of Monastic Possessions recorded that the church of the monastery had been in use as a parish church. A church on the site, known as St. John’s Church, which may be the same building, was recorded in 1694 as being ‘in good repair’ (Brady, 1863, vol. 2, 109), and was described by Smith in 1970 (vol. 1, 146), as a ‘neat structure, and well pewed, and the steeple is capable of holding a ring of bells’.
This church was replaced in the second decade of the nineteenth century. The Church of Ireland parish church in Midleton is recorded as having been newly built by the James and George Richard Pain in 1823, suggesting that no medieval remains existed, that they were swept away in this new building, or that the church was built on an entirely new site.
Stalley noted that ‘the monastic buildings lay on the site of the Protestant parish church [for which he gives a date of 1825], but there are no standing remains. A number of moulded stones are scattered about the graveyard, including a late medieval door head and a piece of circular shafting’.