Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Galway (Friary)

also known as: St. Stephen's Island

Order: Franciscan


Barony: Galway/ Gaillimh
Civil Parish: St. Nicholas' Parish/ Paróiste San Niocláis
Townland: Townparks (St. Nicholas Par.) (Páirceanna an Bhaile (Paróiste San Niocláis))

Main events in the history of this site

1296Foundation - This friary was founded by William de Burgo in 1296 (CRH f.6), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 250) 
c.1324 - The founder (Wm. de Burgo) began to build 28 years before he died. (A. Conn, 1324), (Med. religious houses, 250) 

People associated with this site

William de Burgo

Bibliographical sources

1 Printed sources

show sources

Galway, OSI Grid:M2969925520