Monastic Ireland.








Display site:

Aran (Friary)

Order: Franciscan, Franciscan

James Ware, on describing the early monastery, states that there was also a convent of Friars Minor on Aran. (Ware, 214), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 242)

In a chronological list of the friaries of Ireland, compiled using Donatus Mooney's visitation (Brussels MS 34.10), the founder is unknown, and the friars obtained Aran in 1485. It was abandoned during religious persecution (AH6ii, 161). AH6i (104) lists it as a Third Order Foundation, but it is also entered, in a different hand, with 12 other convents of Connacht, as First Order. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 242)

The Conventual Franciscans received permission from Julius II in 1506 to keep up to 40 cows to provide them with milk and meat in the absence of wine, oil, beer and cider on Aran. (CMT, 2, 7-8), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 242)


Barony: Aran
Civil Parish: Inishmore
Townland: Killeany (Cill Éine)

Main events in the history of this site

- James Ware, on describing the early monastery, states that there was also a convent of Friars Minor on Aran. (Ware, 214), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 242) 
1485Foundation - In a chronological list of the friaries of Ireland, compiled using Donatus Mooney's visitation (Brussels MS 34.10), the founder is unknown, and the friars obtained Aran in 1485. It was abandoned during religious persecution (AH6ii, 161). AH6i (104) lists it as a Third Order Foundation, but it is also entered, in a different hand, with 12 other convents of Connacht, as First Order. (Med. religious houses, Ire., 242) 
1506 - The Conventual Franciscans received permission from Julius II in 1506 to keep up to 40 cows to provide them with milk and meat in the absence of wine, oil, beer and cider on Aran. (CMT, 2, 7-8), (Med. religious houses, Ire., 242) 

Bibliographical sources

6 Printed sources

show sources

Galway, OSI Grid:L8863707110